Some days are diamond …
Some days the work just seems to flow, and we go home feeling as if we have accomplished a lot. We were able to tick off quite a few jobs from the to-do list this week.
We have switched our priorities a little, as it turns out Deb will be back in Alice for an extended period while our youngest daughter has our first grandchild. So our plan is to do the big two-person jobs before she goes, leaving the fiddly detailed jobs for when Pete is on his own. Pete will travel up for the birth, but will not stay as long.
So we headed outside again and set up for installing the forebeam.
We had previously built and fiberglassed the beam, so it was ready to go. The forbeam is an immensely strong component, as it takes the full tension of the forestay. A wobbly beam would make it impossible to tension the forestay, which would adversely impact on windward performance. A weak forebeam could threaten the whole rig.
Following the design instructions, we cut holes in the hulls to receive the beam and laminated two stout sub-bulkheads directly behind the beam location. We then dry fitted the beam and checked for level. It was a hold-your-breath moment. A slight discrepancy in the fore-aft level of the hulls would reveal itself now. The beam is on the extreme end of the boat, and there are a lot of variables in the building process. We were chuffed, and it must be admitted, somewhat surprised that it was dead level on the first try. The beam is sandwiched between the two bulkheads and later we will glue/bolt it in place with four 5/8 inch bolts. First, we have to manufacture some metal components that need to be in place prior to fixing the beam down.
Next, we fitted another beam lamination that spans the hulls behind the forebeam, at frame two. This is the fixing point for the web lockers, a semi circular assembly sort of like a bullnose roof, but upside down. In total, the hulls are connected with six beams.
Another job we completed was adding a second layer of fiberglass to the aft steps, and rendering on a coat of Qcell. After sanding we will give it a coat of undercoat.
While Deb was working on the aft steps, Pete completed the galley joinery and storage area on the outboard side. This is a big assembly, 3.55 metres long, and as I have said in a previous post, is a structural component of the hull.
We are also thrilled to now have the company of our dear friend Mayo occasionally visit the site to help out with a few jobs. We first met Mayo in Alice, where she volunteered in Debs children’s ministry for a few years before returning to Nigeria. She has now relocated back to Aus and elected to join us at Port Sorell. With our daughters being so far away, she has added much joy to our lives, with her infectious laughter, and courageous spirit. Plus we are getting such a buzz showing her around, and helping her settle into Tassy life.