Last night we slept aboard for the first time. OK now... don't get too excited. No, we haven't launched Selah without telling you. But we are pleased to let you all know that our girl is now decently clothed and is fully weathertight. To celebrate we rolled up the big tent. It was a momentous … Continue reading Our first night aboard!
I can't believe its nearly a full month since we finished external paint. As I write this it's hard to work out where the days have gone, but a lot of fiddly jobs have been tackled, as well as finishing up internal paintwork. I have learned that the days between big jobs can be swallowed … Continue reading Hatches, deck fittings, metalwork and painting the interior.
Well, its been a beautiful autumn here on the north coast. For sure we have had some cold and blustery days but compared to previous years the conditions have been very mild. Next month things will change, as we head into full winter. Accordingly, our push now is to get her watertight. We want to … Continue reading External Paintwork completed
This is an update that we have been looking forward to posting for a long time. We have discovered that paint days are an emotional rollercoaster. Long, physically challenging and very smelly (paint thinner lingers, even after a hot shower), but also very satisfying. After months of prep work, without much outward sign of progress, … Continue reading Primer Undercoat …done!
Well its been a while since posts, so I though I had better check in with an update of our progress. Its been a physically grueling few months since fabrications were completed prior to Christmas. It's fair to say I did not anticipate how long it would take to prep our girl for paint. This … Continue reading Almost ready for paint
A lot has changed since our last post. We have managed to get our first coats of high build undercoat on, but not without a battle with the weather. Turns out Tassy has humidity levels not dissimilar to the tropics, something we had not fully understood until now! Our magic figures for painting are: temperature no … Continue reading Paint & humidity
Well its close to a month since our last post, and not because we've been taking it easy. In fact the last few weeks have been physically and mentally the hardest of the build so far. Now that the fabrication of the interior is completed we are deep into prepping for painting. This involves going … Continue reading Time to pay the piper…
Now that we have returned from Alice we are focusing on completing the internal fit out in preparation for painting. First cab off the rank, was the bridge-deck storage space. This will be accessed from an overhead deck hatch. Two levels of shelving were filleted in place, which also served to stiffen the partition with … Continue reading Internal fit out #2
Building a catamaran is a bit like building two boats. Much of the work that has occupied us for the last four weeks has been covered in previous posts, but here is an update of our current situation. After taking a week off due to Pete's inflamed shoulder, we have been working towards completing the Starboard … Continue reading Rapid progress with the Port Hull
It was a big day for us when we finally completed the starboard hull. After fairing the hull we had a delay of a couple of days as we waited for the paint to arrive, which somehow got lost in transit. We have decided to use Jotan Penguard HB epoxy high-build as the undercoat followed … Continue reading Starboard hull completed and Port hull commenced.