I can't believe its nearly a full month since we finished external paint. As I write this it's hard to work out where the days have gone, but a lot of fiddly jobs have been tackled, as well as finishing up internal paintwork. I have learned that the days between big jobs can be swallowed … Continue reading Hatches, deck fittings, metalwork and painting the interior.
Well its close to a month since our last post, and not because we've been taking it easy. In fact the last few weeks have been physically and mentally the hardest of the build so far. Now that the fabrication of the interior is completed we are deep into prepping for painting. This involves going … Continue reading Time to pay the piper…
Well we are entering our third winter for the build, and it has arrived with typical north-west coast enthusiasm. Westerly fronts are punching through with gale force winds every nine days or so, followed by a period of calmer north easterly winds. These are the conditions Bass Strait is infamous for, and we often marvel … Continue reading Internal Fitout #4
Now that we have returned from Alice we are focusing on completing the internal fit out in preparation for painting. First cab off the rank, was the bridge-deck storage space. This will be accessed from an overhead deck hatch. Two levels of shelving were filleted in place, which also served to stiffen the partition with … Continue reading Internal fit out #2
Since our last post, we have been focused on completing the internal fit-out to paint stage. After painting, we will fit the deck and build the turret. Our reasoning is that although our shelter has done an outstanding job, especially since we upgraded it (see The big top is back on. ) we are conscious that it … Continue reading Internal fitout #1
"If at all possible, avoid building your own deck hatches. Install pre-manufactured ones..." Well despite this rather excellent advice given to us by Gary, a fellow Sarah boatbuilder, we have spent much of the last two weeks doing exactly that... building hatches. And yes, they have been every bit as fiddly and time-consuming as he … Continue reading Hatches, Tanks, Outboard Pods and shiny things
Its been a busy few weeks since we have last posted. In between pushing on with the build we made a trip to Hobart for a funeral and family catch-up, returning via the east coast for a few days off. We were pleased to finally finish frame seven. Actually, we were surprised by how long … Continue reading Frame seven complete and cockpit commenced.
Now that the floors have been glued in place, we have moved to internal joinery. The Sarah design specifies shelving to be fixed to the three stringers immediately above the waterline along the length of the hulls, between frames two to seven. These shelves form the basis for storage lockers and are mandatory as they are … Continue reading Internal Joinery underway
The fiddly job of laying the cabin floors is almost completed. Fitting the floors has taken longer than expected. Each component has to be cut-to-fit around the curve of the hull, with its varying angles and intersecting frames. Since the last post, we have glued down most of the floors, and have framed and fitted the floors … Continue reading Floors and big-end-fronts
This week we have been working towards joining the hulls. First we leveled the hulls fore/aft and vertically, using the laser level as a guide. Once leveled off, we used a small hand winch and a snatch strap around the keel to slide the hulls forward and backwards as required to bring them into alignment. This … Continue reading Joining the hulls